The following should be considered when purchasing olive trees:
- Purchase trees from reputable nurseries with good quality control.
- Trees are generally available at 12 months and 18 months, costing approximately $5 and $10 on site respectively.
- Smaller trees cost less to transport but are more susceptible to setbacks once planted.
- Ask the nursery whether the mother stock has been verified as the true variety.
- Request information on the diseases experienced in the nursery.
- Orders can be placed year round, but generally orders are placed in January/February for delivery for spring planting in September.
- A deposit of 10% to 20% is generally paid on order, refunds of the deposit less an administration fee can generally be negotiated.
- Trees should not be transported in open vehicles as the wind can cause considerable damage.
- Consideration should be given to acclimatising trees that have been propagated in climates that are different from those in which they are to be grown.